You know that feeling when you get along with everyone, but still somehow don’t belong anywhere? Welcome to the club!
I’ve always kind of seen myself as a lone wolf... Someone who can adapt, who’s friendly with everyone, who gets invited to things (sometimes), but never really belongs to any one group. And lately, that’s been hitting harder than usual.
Someone I know recently mentioned a term I hadn’t heard before: “floater friend.” It means someone who drifts between circles, close to many, but never anyone’s first choice. And always "on the surface" of the connections. When I looked it up, it stung a little. Because it felt exactly like me.
I’m the person people reach out to when they need to vent, or when they’re short one person for an outing. I get along with everyone, but I’m rarely the one anyone checks on “just because.” It’s not that I’m unloved... I just don’t feel anchored anywhere.
I really only have one friend I talk to every day (or almost every day). And honestly, she’s probably the only one who’d notice if I went quiet for a few days. Funny thing is, we met here, on Reddit. And she’s become one of the most important people in my life in the last few months. She's helped keep me sane in the loneliness of not being chosen by anyone else.
Meanwhile, the people I’ve known for years, or even decades? I don’t think they’d care much if I disappeared tomorrow. Would they come to my funeral? Maybe. Probably. But do they check on me? Do they think of me when they don’t need something from me? Not really. And look... It’s fine. We all have busy lives... I’ve made peace with that. It just hurts when I stop and think about it.
I think what hurts most is that I’m wired for connection. I crave depth. The kind of bond where you can sit in silence and still feel understood. The kind where you’re not just “invited along,” you’re wanted there.
Being a floater isn’t all bad, though. It means I’m adaptable, open, and able to connect with all kinds of people. Maybe that’s a quiet strength: moving through life, bringing warmth where I can, even if I never fully stay.
Still, I’m learning that it’s okay to want more. To want to find "my people". And maybe, someday, I’ll find them... The ones who make me feel at home, not just "welcome".
Until then, I’ll keep showing up. I’ll keep being kind. I’ll keep being me. Because even if I’m a floater, I know I’m not alone in this. And maybe that’s the first step to finding where I truly belong.
I don’t know... I just needed to get that out. Maybe some of you out there feel the same way... The friendly one, the listener, the one who floats but never fully lands anywhere. If that’s you, just know you’re not alone. We might be floaters... But we still deserve to be chosen.

